Who Do You Sue for a Slip and Fall Claim?

Slip, trip, and fall accidents can cause debilitating injuries, but even a minor cut or bruise is reason enough to consider filing for compensation if someone was negligent. However, there are many causes of slip accidents. 

It is essential to determine if the accident is because of someone else’s negligence, as you’ll have to prove it in court if the case goes to trial. Some of the common causes of slip accidents include poor lighting, uneven pavements, potholes, slippery floors, and wet surfaces.

Slip and trip accidents can also occur due to poor housekeeping and unseen obstacles. What’s more, they happen in various scenarios. You can slip inside a business building, at the shop or restaurants, while walking, when taking the train, and at work. 

Below is an overview of who the court may find liable for a slip, trip, or fall accident.

A Local Council

The court can hold a local council liable for the trip accident if your lawyer has enough to prove it. Local councils have various responsibilities, including maintaining public spaces, pavements, lighting, and other fixtures.

The council receives a budget to repair different public spaces, including unevenly raised spots, cracked and damaged pavements, broken railings, and missing lighting. If they fail to make adequate repairs on time, they can be held liable for accidents resulting from the same.

Your lawyer will review the case and determine if there’s a chance of suing the local council. The council’s insurance company will accept or deny liability. If they accept liability, your lawyer will help you negotiate fair compensation.

It is vital to involve a reputable personal injury lawyer, whether the local council chooses to settle or opts for trial. More importantly, you should contact the local council if you spot any potential danger to help protect others from fall accidents.

An Employer

You can fall anywhere, including an office, a construction site, at the store where you work, or in a classroom. The majority of slip, trip, and fall accidents occur at job sites and workplaces. They can result in bodily injuries and other damages.

If you fall at work, you should determine if the employer had something to do with it. All employers must ensure the workplace environment is safe and free from slip, trip, and fall hazards. Unfortunately, not all employers follow the requirements.

Workplace fall accidents are still common and the leading cause of claims. Your personal injury lawyer will help you determine if the employer is liable for the accident. 

A Landlord

If you live in an unsafe rental area, you can sue your landlord for slip, trip, and fall accidents. Landlords must ensure the tenants are in a safe environment, free of slip hazards. They must schedule maintenance to ensure the property is in excellent living conditions.

A landlord refers to an individual or private company, a housing association, or the local council. Simply put, the person owning the property. Your lawyer will help you identify the proper entity to sue.

A Business

You can sue a shop, retail outlet, supermarket, restaurant, club, spa, or any other business for negligence in connection to your fall accident. Business owners have a responsibility to keep the premises safe from trip and slip hazards.

If you fall because of unsafe floors, aisles, steps, ramps, railings, or walkways, you should consider seeking compensation from the business for damages. Your lawyer will help you gather the evidence required to prove your innocence and the defendant’s negligence.

If you slip, trip, or fall and suffer personal injuries, you can claim compensation by proving someone else was negligent. Contact The Wenck Firm today for a free consultation to start building your slip and fall case. 

This Blog/Web Site is made available by The Wenck Firm, LLC, for educational purposes. It provides general information and a general understanding of the law, but does not provide specific legal advice. By using this site, commenting on posts, or sending inquiries through the site or contact email, you confirm that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and The Wenck Firm, LLC. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.